There are numerous signs that indicate when a senior is beginning to have trouble caring for him or herself. One of these signs is weight loss, which can indicate a problem with not eating right. This may be a good opportunity to talk to your parent about moving into an assisted living center. There, he or she will have help and support for completing daily tasks, but your parent will also receive three healthy meals a day.
Why do seniors stop eating right?
When you begin to notice that your parent is losing weight, you may also notice a decline in his or her health. Staying healthy requires eating right, but many seniors fail to eat properly because they:
- Do not have food in the house
- Do not have the energy or skills to prepare food
- Forget to eat
- Are not hungry
If your parent is not eating right, his or her health could be suffering as a result.
How important is nutrition?
Eating properly consists of eating three good meals a day. When seniors eat right, they can receive positive benefits, including:
- Healthier bodies – The organs in the body rely on nutrients from food. When these organs do not get the right nutrients, they can begin to fail. This can lead to an increased risk of heart disease, liver problems, stroke, and diabetes.
- Sharper minds – Proper nutrition is also vital for a person's mind. Foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids are especially helpful for the brain, and fresh fruits and vegetables are also helpful.
- Increased energy levels – Eating the right foods at the right times can give people the energy they need. The right types of foods include vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.
If your parent is feeling weak, tired, and sad, they could have a lack of proper nutrition.
How can an assisted living facility help?
Assisted living facilities offer a variety of services and benefits to seniors, and one important one is the meals they serve. Assisted living centers typically offer group meals three times a day. You may feel better knowing your parent is receiving three good meals a day; plus, you can be certain that your parent is eating.
Without proper nutrition, your parent's health can begin deteriorating. Eating right is just one benefit offered at assisted living facilities, but there are many others. If you would like to learn more about the services they offer, contact an assisted living facility like Twin Oaks Estate today.